The friends finally head into Phandalin. As they arrive, they see forty or so simple log buildings, surrounded by old ruins with crumbling walls covered by ivy and briars, showing that this must have been a much larger town in centuries past. Far away on the east side of town they see a ruined manor house on a hill. Children are playing on the town green and townsfolk are tending to chores and running errands at shops. Many people look up as they approach but return to their business as they go by.
Sildar suggests that they seek lodging at the local inn. Tomorrow he wants to search for signs of the missing wizard, Iarno Albrek, who is also a member of the Lord’s Alliance and disappeared two months after coming to Phandalin. Also, he thinks that someone in Phandalin may know the location of Cragmaw Castle, where the goblins may have taken Gundren Rockseeker and the map of the secret entrance to the long-lost Wave Echo Cave. Perhaps they could also figure out who the Black Spider is, the person that ordered the goblins to attack Gundren.
The friends visit Barthen’s Provisions first and meet Barthen. He pays them 10 gold apiece for returning his supplies. He also lets them know the following:
- He knew Gundren and feels sad that he was kidnapped. He hopes that the group finds him.
- There are two more Rockseeker brothers, Nundro and Tharden, and they are most likely camped outside of town. They have not been seen for ten days but should be back to the town soon to resupply. They may know more about the cave or where their brother is.
- The other supplies that they have belong to the Lionshead Coster. They would probably reward the friends for returning the supplies.
- There are ruffians in town called the Redbrands. They are stealing things and making life hard here. They are typically found at the Sleeping Giant.
- The Stonehill Inn is a good place to stay for the night and there are a lot of people in their taproom that you could talk to and get more info about the area.
- The Edermath Orchard is occupied by someone who used to be an adventurer.
The friends visit the Lionshead Coster and Linene Graywind is not sure about them at first but when Quinn says that he has her stolen goods and that goblins took them, she is very appreciative and gives them 50 gold. She says that she will help the group any way she can, and that she has some weapons and armor available. She says that the Redbrands are causing trouble here.
They head to the inn and get a room and dinner. They learn the following:
- The townmaster is looking for people to fend off the orks that are attacking people on the Triboar trail east of here.
- Sister Garele from the Shrine of Luck left town for a few days and returned wounded.
- The Redbrands murdered Thel Dendrar, a local woodcarver, and kidnapped his wife and children.
The friends decide to confront the Redbrands at the Sleeping Giant. They walk in and there are four ruffians sitting at the front. They call the friends “puppies” but Nylian calls them “fat poop heads” to which they are very angry about. They immediately get up and start attacking the friends but the battle is quick and three of them are knocked out. The fourth goes running for the east side of town. The friends check the other Redbrands for treasure before continuing on after him.
+100xp, total 425xp